304 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
Type 304 stainless steel wire mesh is the most extensively used material in the industrial wire cloth world. Type 304 (T-304, SS304) is the basic stainless steel alloy and is often referred to as 18-8 stainless steel due to its 18% chromium and 8% nickel composition. Where no specific stainless steel type is specified, it is assumed Type 304 stainless steel wire cloth is acceptable. Some characteristics of 304 stainless steel wire cloth which dictate its wide use are:
- Austenitic stainless steel.
- Non-magnetic when annealed.
- Slightly magnetic when cold worked.
- Withstands outdoor exposure without rusting.
- Excellent corrosion resistance in broad range of industrial and chemical settings.
- Not as corrosion resistant as T-316 stainless steel wire mesh, but less costly.
- Resists oxidation at 1400°F temperatures.
- Heating permitted between 900°F – 1600°F temperatures.
- Can be cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
T-304 stainless steel wire cloth is principally used with food products, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals due to its corrosion resistance, moisture-proof, and non-contaminating characteristics. T-304 wire cloth is commonly used in the sorting and screening of abrasives, liquids, powders, and other solids. Additional industries and applications which commonly use T-304 stainless steel wire cloth include: