321 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
Type 321 stainless steel wire mesh is similar to the basic T-304 stainless steel alloy, but includes the addition of titanium for improved oxidation and general corrosion resistance. Compared to T-304L, T-321 stainless steel has both higher creep strength and stress rupture capabilities, and similarly possesses good low-temperature toughness. That said, T-304L wire mesh is usually more readily available than T-321, and is often used in most situations unless the wire mesh is to be used in an operating environment with temperatures above 925°F (as T-321 has better hot strength properties). If the requirement is only for resistance to intergranular corrosion after welding, then T-304L is the preferred alloy given its wider stock availability. Some characteristics of 321 stainless steel wire cloth which dictate its use are:
- Austenitic stainless steel.
- Non-magnetic when annealed.
- Slightly magnetic when cold worked.
- Withstands outdoor exposure without rusting.
- Excellent oxidation & corrosion resistance in broad range of industrial and chemical settings.
- Resists oxidation at 1500°F temperatures.
- Heating permitted between 900°F – 1600°F temperatures.
- Can be cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
T-321 stainless steel wire cloth is principally used in oil field & refinery, mining & quarrying, and aerospace industries. T-321 wire cloth is also commonly used in the chemical processing industry. Additional industries and applications which commonly use T-321 stainless steel wire cloth include:
- Food Processing
- Liquid Filtration & Particle Separation
- Pressure Vessels
- Waste Treatment
Type 321 stainless steel is also commonly referred to as:
- UNS S32100
- SUS321 (Japan)
321 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh – Typical Chemistry
|UNS S32100 - 321 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh - Typical Chemistry|
321 Stainless Steel
321 Stainless Steel Wire Cloth – Harmonized Tariff Codes: Chapter 73
Woven T-321 Wire Mesh:
- 0-30 Mesh: 7314141000
- 31-91 Mesh: 7314142000
- 92+ Mesh: 7314149000
Welded T-321 Wire Mesh:
- 3.937″+ Center-to-Center AND .1181″+ Wire Diameter: 7314200000
- <3.937″ Center-to-Center OR <.1181″ Wire Diameter: 7314390000
Phoenix Wire Cloth can manufacture-to-order any combination of mesh opening size + wire diameter(s) to supply you with the woven or welded 321 stainless steel wire mesh, bolting cloth, milling cloth, or filter cloth that you require. In addition, we can slit, cut, punch, form, heat treat, powder coat, etc. T-321 wire mesh to deliver the exact material you require.
Call or email us for a quote today!