316 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
Type 316 stainless steel wire mesh is the second most extensively used stainless steel alloy in the industrial wire cloth world (T-304 being the most common). Type 316 (T-316, SS316) is the basic 18-8 alloy, stabilized by the addition of 2% molybdenum to provide better corrosion resistance to many salts and acids, along with increased pitting resistance to salt water, brine, and chlorine salts. T-316 can be used in bleach solutions containing up to 2% hydrochloric acid. Some additional characteristics of 316 stainless steel wire cloth which dictate its wide use are:
- Austenitic stainless steel.
- Non-magnetic when annealed.
- Slightly magnetic when cold worked.
- Withstands outdoor exposure without rusting.
- Excellent corrosion resistance in broad range of industrial and chemical settings.
- Superior corrosion resistance vs. T-304 stainless steel wire mesh, but is more costly.
- Resists oxidation at 1600°F temperatures.
- Can be cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
T-316 stainless steel wire cloth is primarily used in chemical/petrochemical, food processing, and pharmaceutical equipment/medical device industries. Additional industries and applications which commonly use T-316 stainless steel wire cloth include:
- Architectural (seashore/urban areas)
- Boat/Yacht Fittings
- Liquid Filtration & Particle Separation
- Marine Applications
- Oil Field & Refinery
- Potable Water
- Power Plant
- Wastewater Treatment
Type 316 stainless steel is also commonly referred to as:
- UNS S31600
- SUS316 (Japan)
316 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh – Typical Chemistry
|UNS S31600 - 316 Stainless Steel Wire Mesh - Typical Chemistry|
316 Stainless Steel
316 Stainless Steel Wire Cloth – Harmonized Tariff Codes: Chapter 73
Woven T-316 Wire Mesh:
- 0-30 Mesh: 7314141000
- 31-91 Mesh: 7314142000
- 92+ Mesh: 7314149000
Welded T-316 Wire Mesh:
- 3.937″+ Center-to-Center AND .1181″+ Wire Diameter: 7314200000
- <3.937″ Center-to-Center OR <.1181″ Wire Diameter: 7314390000
Extensive Stock Inventory & Manufacture-to-Order Capability
Phoenix Wire Cloth carries one of the largest stock inventories of both woven and welded 316 stainless steel wire mesh, bolting cloth, milling cloth, and filter cloth in the United States, and can manufacture-to-order any combination of mesh opening size + wire diameter(s) needed to meet your specific project requirements. In addition, we can slit, cut, punch, form, heat treat, powder coat, etc. T-316 wire mesh to deliver the exact material you require.
Call or email us for a quote today!