304L Stainless Steel Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
Type 304L stainless steel wire mesh is the same as Type 304 stainless steel wire mesh, except for its extra-low carbon content which allows for superior welding. Specifically, the low carbon content helps to minimize carbide precipitation when welding, allowing T-304L wire cloth to be used without subsequent annealing of the weld joints, even in corrosive environments. Some characteristics of 304L stainless steel wire cloth which dictate its use are:
- Austenitic stainless steel.
- Non-magnetic when annealed.
- Slightly magnetic when cold worked.
- Withstands outdoor exposure without rusting.
- Excellent corrosion resistance in broad range of industrial and chemical settings.
- Not as corrosion resistant as T-316L stainless steel wire mesh, but less costly.
- Heating permitted between 800°F – 1600°F temperatures.
- Superior resistance to intergranular corrosion during welding as compared to T-304.
- Can be cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
T-304L stainless steel wire cloth is principally used with food products, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals due to its corrosion resistance, moisture-proof, and non-contaminating characteristics. T-304L wire cloth is commonly used in the sorting and screening of abrasives, liquids, powders, and other solids. Additional industries and applications which commonly use T-304L stainless steel wire cloth include: