AL-6XN® Stainless Steel Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
AL-6XN stainless steel wire mesh is a high-purity, super-austenitic stainless steel alloy. Aided by its nitrogen content, AL-6XN is often used in settings where a higher tensile strength is required than can be found in common austenitic stainless steels, and similar levels of ductility and impact strength are still needed. Additionally, when superior welding, forming, strength, and corrosion resistance properties are all required, AL-6XN wire cloth is selected over both duplex stainless steels (better performance) and nickel alloys (similar performance, lower cost). Some characteristics of AL-6XN stainless steel wire cloth which dictate its use are:
- Super-austenitic stainless steel.
- Withstands outdoor exposure without rusting.
- Superior corrosion resistance in broad range of industrial and chemical settings.
- Similar resistance to chloride solutions as offered by many nickel alloys.
- Excellent resistance to chloride ion stress corrosion cracking.
- Stable to 1000°F; max operating temperature of 1900°F.
- Can be cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
AL-6XN stainless steel wire cloth was originally designed for seawater applications, and displays good resistance to a wide array of other very corrosive environments. It is principally used in seawater, oil field & refinery (especially offshore settings), and food processing applications. Additional industries and applications which commonly use AL-6XN stainless steel wire cloth include: