Aluminum Alloy 3003 Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
Aluminum alloy 3003 wire mesh offers good workability and moderate strength, as do most wrought aluminium-manganese family “3000 series” alloys. As with other aluminum alloys, aluminum 3003 offers excellent corrosion resistance, even in extremely corrosive environments. Its added manganese content (1.25%) further enhances its superior performance both from a corrosion resistance and tensile strength standpoint. While it will lose strength if subjected to high temperatures (390°F to 480°F), it strength can be increased via cold working (note: aluminum 3003 cannot be heat-treated). Some characteristics of aluminum alloy 3003 wire cloth which dictate its use are:
- Wrought aluminium-manganese family (3000 series) alloy.
- Moderate Strength (approximately 20% stronger than aluminum alloy 1100).
- Excellent corrosion resistance in broad range of extremely corrosive environments.
- Cannot be heat treated; strength can be increased via cold working.
- Easily cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
Aluminum alloy 3003 wire cloth is principally used in applications requiring good formability, corrosion resistance, and moderate strength. Given its moderate strength, it is not best suited for applications requiring high-strength or high-pressure. As such, aluminum alloy 3003 wire cloth is commonly used in architectural, appliance, and other miscellaneous applications.