CDA 122 Copper Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
CDA 122 copper wire mesh (aka C12200 copper wire mesh) is an infrequently used copper alloy in the world of wire cloth. C12200 copper is a pure, phosphorized copper with a minimum copper content of 99.9% and a nominal phosphorus content of 0.0275%. As with other pure coppers alloys, CDA 122 copper wire mesh possesses excellent electrical and thermal conductivity, and is very malleable, pliable, and ductile. In comparison to bronzes and brasses, C12200 copper wire cloth possesses lesser abrasion resistance, hardness and tensile strength.
Following weaving, CDA 122 copper wire cloth is reddish-brown in color. Over time, the surface will slowly patina to a greenish/blue color known as verdigris. The environment plays a primary factor in the pace at which C12200 copper wire mesh will patina. In dry conditions, it can take years for the patina to take full effect, whereas in outdoor, seaside settings, CDA 122 copper wire cloth will fully patina in as little as six months.
If desired, you can speed up the patina effect by removing surface oil with a mild household cleaner, or can slow down the patina effect by applying a lacquer, wax, or occasional oiling to protect the C12200 copper wire cloth from the environment.
Some characteristics of CDA 122 copper wire cloth which dictate its use are:
- An infrequently used copper alloy for wire cloth (CDA 102 copper being the most commonly used).
- Non-magnetic in all forms.
- Reddish-brown in color following weaving; will slowly patina to a greenish/blue color known as verdigris.
- Withstands outdoor exposure without rusting.
- Superior resistance to atmospheric corrosion vs. bronze & brass alloys.
- Corrodes when exposed to ammonia and other salts.
- Excellent thermal and electrical conductivity.
- Can be cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
Given its mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties, CDA 122 copper wire cloth is principally used in Faraday cages, RFI shielding, HVAC units, and other electrical applications. Due to its unique patina color, CDA 122 copper wire mesh is frequently used by architects, artists, designers, and homeowners in both decorative and functional settings. Additional industries and applications which commonly use C12200 copper wire cloth include: