Aluminum Alloy 6061 Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
Aluminum alloy 6061 wire mesh is a precipitation-hardened family “6000 series” aluminum alloy. It is one of the most common general purpose aluminum alloys, and is the most readily available heat-treatable aluminum alloy. As with other aluminum alloys, aluminum 6061 offers excellent corrosion resistance, even in extremely corrosive environments. It is primarily alloyed with both added magnesium (1%) and silicon (0.6%), which allow AA 6061 to be strengthened by heat-treatment, in addition to enhancing its general-use versatility. Some characteristics of aluminum alloy 6061 wire cloth which dictate its use are:
- Precipitation-hardened family “6000 series” aluminum alloy.
- Good tensile strength vs. other aluminum grades.
- Excellent corrosion resistance in broad range of extremely corrosive environments.
- Resistant to corrosion even when surface abrasion is present.
- Most readily available heat-treatable aluminum alloy.
- Easily cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
Aluminum alloy 6061 wire cloth is principally used where post-weld heat-treatment (for strengthening), good corrosion resistance, and general versatility properties are required. These properties make AA 6061 one of the most common general purpose / heat-treatable aluminum alloys in use today. As such, industries and applications which commonly use aluminum alloy 6061 wire cloth include: