MONEL® Wire Mesh – Alloy Overview
Monel wire mesh is a nickel-copper alloy that demonstrates good resistance in a wide variety of corrosive environments. The most common Monel alloy used in the wire cloth industry is UNS N04400 Monel alloy 400. Its nominal composition of ~67% nickel and ~31% copper traces its roots back to the early 1900’s when it was first developed by the International Nickel Company in an effort to use the high-copper-content nickel ore found in its Ontario, Canada mines. Monel wire cloth has excellent durability and strength following weaving, making it well suited for use in many industrial and commercial applications. In comparison to copper alloys, Monel wire mesh is more resistant to oxidizing conditions. Versus Nickel 200, Monel wire cloth has greater resistance in reducing environments. As its color and appearance nearly match that of stainless steal, given Monel wire mesh’s higher price point, it is not an alloy of choice for decorative applications. Some characteristics of Monel wire cloth which dictate its wide use are:
- Solid solution nickel-copper alloy.
- At or below room temperature, it is somewhat-magnetic when annealed.
- Above room temperature, it is non-magnetic (depending on composition impurities) when annealed.
- Withstands outdoor exposure without rusting; great for use in marine and seawater settings.
- Excellent corrosion resistance in broad range of industrial and chemical settings.
- Good for use in hydrochloric acid; great for use against pitting & crevice corrosion in chlorides.
- Excellent for use against chloride stress corrosion cracking.
- Not to be used in nitric acid.
- Max operating temperature of ~1000°F.
- Can be cut, formed, and welded.
Industries & Applications
Monel wire cloth is principally used in aerospace, chemical, brackish water, seawater, and power generation applications given its superior corrosion resistance properties. Additional industries and applications which commonly use Monel wire mesh include:
- Commercial Cooking
- Electrical Components
- Heat Exchangers
- Liquid Filtration & Particle Separation
- Oil Field & Refinery
- Water Heaters
Monel is also commonly referred to as:
- UNS N04400
- Alloy 400
- MONEL® alloy 400
- Super Alloy Monel
- Ni-Cu 400 Alloy
- ATI 400™
- Silverin 400
Monel Wire Mesh – Typical Chemistry
|UNS N04400 - Monel® 400 Wire Mesh - Typical Chemistry|
Monel Wire Cloth – Harmonized Tariff Codes: Chapter 75
Woven Monel Wire Mesh:
- HTS Code: 7508100000
Extensive Stock Inventory
Phoenix Wire Cloth carries one of the largest stock inventories of woven Monel wire mesh, bolting cloth, milling cloth, and filter cloth in the United States, and can manufacture-to-order any combination of mesh opening size + wire diameter(s) needed to meet your specific project requirements. In addition, we can slit, cut, punch, form, heat treat, powder coat, etc. Monel wire cloth to deliver the exact material you require.
Call or email us for a quote today!
*MONEL® is a registered trademark of Special Metals Corporation
*ATI 400™ is a registered trademark of ATI Metals
*All alloy and company names are trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them does not imply affiliation or endorsement.